UNITEN is gearing up to turn its Putrajaya campus into a smart “city” in an effort to create a “smart society”.
Dubbed the UNITEN Smart UniverCity, the entire project is expected to be implemented by 2018 and 2019. Among the elements of a smart university is to provide a unique campus experience by enriching staff, students and visitors experience through the usage of technology.
One way the university plans on doing this is by using a soon-to-be-released mobile application that will show bus schedules, available parking spaces, a map of the campus and food on offer at nearby cafes and restaurants. There are also plans to have cashless transactions throughout the campus.
Besides these, UNITEN plans on creating a micro smart-grid that will also allow the university to generate its own electricity using solar panels and biomass. This will also help reduce carbon footprint and UNITEN can sell the electricity to Tenaga Nasional.
All students and staff members will benefit from the smart city concept. Students and lecturers will enjoy a unique learning experience in UNITEN including having smart classrooms.
The objective of the Smart UniverCity is to make the university’s campus an innovation platform and hub for ideas to create a more sustainable future. Through Smart UniverCity projects, UNITEN can explore more opportunities with industries and government agencies so that everybody can share the benefits while playing roles to deliver quality services and technology to the community. It provides testbeds for the researchers and students to make use and leverage on what’s available for creating more innovations.
UNITEN has developed a strategy for a Smart UniverCity project through a consolidated effort by various entities in TNB to translate the Smart City concept within UNITEN’s community. The main focus of the project is for UNITEN to improve campus community life through smart technologies towards creating solutions that will enable integration between various applications and the students’ lifestyle.
UNITEN’s Smart Campus project aims to:
- Provide a low carbon, smart and sustainable campus featuring smart technologies
- Support the National Green Agenda and TNB’s sustainability initiatives via innovation
- Provide a prove of concept / demonstration site for TNB Smart City / Campus
- Provide a convenient and healthy lifestyle for campus residents and patrons
- Improve students learning outcomes on Smart City, green energy and sustainability using Experiential Learning
- Optimise operational cost, increase efficiency and enhance revenue generation.
> Student Lifestyles & Convenience
Smart ID Application
- Student attendance registration
- Smart mobile Student ID system
- Student academic success tracking system
- Access/door control
- NFC payment system
- Mobile UNITEN app for student & public or E-Board
- Mobile campus location navigator
- Campus bus tracking system
- Smart student security/emergency notification system
- Smart door access
- Enhanced Recycling Practice
- Healthy life via walking/cycling
> Smart Transportation
Smartparking Management System
- Parking lot availability finder
- Illegal parking detection and identification
- E-car, E-bicycle, E-scooter
- PV-based EV charging station
- E-bus / green bus - using biodiesel
- Bus tracking system
Energy Efficiency Buildings
- Smart street lighting - PV and motion sensor based
- DA / Energy management control center
- Smart classroom / corridor lighting
- Electricity usage reduction using smart card
- Wireless power transfer
- Advanced metering infrastructures
- Distribution automation
Smart Security System
- Integrated security camera monitoring system
> Smart Buildings
Energy Efficiency Application
- Implementing passive design concept
- Harvesting natural light
- Using energy-saving lights
Intelligence Management System
- Smart aircond management system
- PV-based electricity source
- Smart metering system
- Implementing rainwater harvesting system
- Separate water piping system
- Implementing waste sorting and recycling